Why Were You Not Hanna

I read so I can be smarter.

I recently read an excerpt from Let Your Life Speak: Listening to the Voice of Vocation (2000).
"There is a Hasidic tale that reveals, with amazing brevity, both the universal tendency to want to be someone else and the ultimate importance of becoming one's self: Rabbi Zusya, when he was an old man, said, "In the coming world, they will not ask me: 'Why were you not Moses?' They will ask me; 'Why were you not Zusya?'" (Parker J. Palmer, p. 11).

Ouch to the ouchmost degree. I look in the mirror and ask, Are you, you? And that's when the frustration, anxiety, crazy (whatever term you want to call it) boils up and all signs of stress start to surface.

Maybe I'm roughly on the right track by chance or luck but I constantly think about answers to: Where should I be? Perhaps the right question is Who am I? and then the rest will fall into place.

Do you know you?


2 comments:

Matt | July 18, 2010 at 7:06 PM

As Oscar Wilder once put it, "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

Hanna | July 20, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Hey Matt! Love this quote :)

Post a Comment